We Take Safety Seriously
Superior Bowen is committed to the safety and well-being of our employees and the people of our community. We approach this solemn responsibility with the firm belief that all accidents are preventable.
To manage risks, we conduct our operations with the highest regard for safe working conditions and insist on strict adherence to safety procedures in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
We strive to achieve our goal of zero incidents through a culture of personal accountability. We also take these courses of action:
- Stretch and Flex – Because we were working on nights and weekends, it is important for everyone to be nimble and able to think clearly. Much of our work is handwork so when more intense labor is required, stretching is critical.
- Daily “Plan of Day” – each afternoon prior to construction, our crews must have a plan. Additionally, because the ‘demolition’ or milling crews are first in, we have multiple conversations with crews as they arrive. Everyone abides by a daily plan, from self-perform crews to subcontractors who were focused on concrete, traffic control, and striping.
- Daily Tool Box Talks – For us, having multiple breaks during work performance to take a breath and discuss the next few hours in the shift is critical. With dump trucks and other project partners coming and going, it is important that everyone is informed.
- ZONAR Equipment Inspections – Prior to dark each day and the evening shift, specialized equipment inspections occur to ensure machines were properly oiled, greased, and ready for service.
- Good Catch Program – At Superior Bowen, we take pride in accountability. Our crews focus daily on finding opportunities to help one another avoid dangerous situations. With over six and a half years without a lost-time accident on a Superior Bowen job site, this is paramount.
In addition to our extensive safety protocols, Superior Bowen also employs The Smith System, which is the nation’s first fleet driver safety training organization. This system gives fleet drivers of all types the knowledge and tools to make better decisions behind the wheel. This leads to a significant return on investment in terms of crash reduction, injury reduction, maintenance savings, fuel savings, higher employee satisfaction and, most importantly, saved lives.